In "The Drummer Boy of Shiloh," Joby, the drummer boy, doesn't seem to have a family that is really there for him at all. For example, on page 50, the story states that "the boy felt his family move yet farther into the dark." I think that this statement is a metaphor for him missing his family or wanting a family to care for him. Maybe he ran away from home, or is an orphan, or simply was never close to his family. Joby is very scared and lonely at the beginning, especially when the passage states that "the boy felt his family move yet farther off into the dark," so I think that part of the reason that Joby is so insecure and feels so alone is because he misses his family or wants a family to care for him. I also think that even though there are many men getting ready for battle that feel the same way Joby does, they hide it much more than Joby, so Joby feels even more alone because of that.
In the story, there is a general who seems to be an important father figure for Joby. This general goes up to Joby and comforts him when he is crying. The general also makes Joby feel special, and like he is worth something, instead of feeling like a useless boy who will just die in battle because he has nothing good to defend himself with. I think because this middle aged man was so kind to Joby made Joby see him as like a father. This is supported by the evidence on page 51, where it says of the general "He smelled as all fathers should smell." Plus, Joby seems happy that the general appreciates and encourages him. This is supported by the statement that "Joby was his [the general] right hand and his left. He gave the orders, but Joby set the pace." I think that all of these clues tell us that either Joby never had a close relationship with his father, or did have a very close relationship with his father and really misses him. Either way, his relationship with his father or lack of it makes him really care for the general.
Joby seems to really care about his family, and really wants a family to care for him. After all, he's only one year older than I am now. I can imagine being in Joby's situation, in a battle, alone, with no protection and no one that cares about me. I can imagine not having a family. This is why this story really makes me appreciate my family and all that they do for me. Joby is so desperate to have someone to care about him, and it makes me feel awful for him. I think that the general was extremely kind to be so warm and welcoming to a young boy. He shows Joby that he is not defenseless, that his drum can be a shield, and that he can make a difference. If I was in Joby's situation, I would definitely want someone like him to take care of me. The author of this passage seems to want people to picture being in Joby's situation, and feel his pain, his loneliness, then his hope. I think that the relationship between Joby and the general is special, and people can picture it so well because it's so real and so powerful.
No comments:
Post a Comment