Pages

Saturday, October 6, 2012

Fame and the Hidden Good

       Spoiler Alert!!! If you haven't read "If I Stay" or "Where She Went" and don't want to know the outcomes of them, don't read this!
       What if you were close to someone who had gone through an awful tragedy? What if they were so sad, they shut you out of their life? What if you saw them again after they left you forever?
       This is what Adam from "Where She Went" by Gayle Forman is going through. "Where She Went" is a sequel to "If I Stay" (which I blogged about a couple weeks ago).  Taking place 3 years after "If I Stay", "Where She Went" follows Adam, Mia's boyfriend. His band is extremely popular now, and he has a typical Hollywood life. He also has a superstar actress girlfriend, although he still has feelings for Mia. Mia is a rising classical music star who is studying at Julliard. One day, Adam is in New York, and goes to one of Mia's concerts. Mia finds out he is at the concert, and they end up going on an adventure in New York together. However, things are awkward and bittersweet because of the death of Mia's family in the previous book and  Mia's abandonment of Adam.
         I think that Adam, although he has some temper problems and went through a period of being kind of a jerk, he is a really good guy. He seems to really care for Mia and wants to protect her, no matter what. I also love that even though he is in a rock band, he fell for a classical musician. He is only being a jerk because he is angry about Mia leaving him, and is also unhappy about being famous. Although fame is made out to be amazing, I actually feel bad about a lot of stars because everything about them is so public and they don't have privacy. They also receive hate and have awful rumors spread about them.  At the beginning of a book, in an interview, Adam is being asked many personal questions. The reporter even finds a picture of Adam and Mia from their high school yearbook, and starts asking if they were together. Because Adam is so overwhelmed with heartbreak about him and Mia's lost love, and because he wants to protect her so much, he just loses it. Although being mega-famous sounds cool, I would be extremely uncomfortable if I was in Adam's situation, especially if I had been through as much as Adam has been in. In the first half of the book, it doesn't seem like Adam is really happy at all. When he's with Mia, though, he tries his best to be a good person. He doesn't yell at her for leaving him and breaking his heart, and he doesn't push to get her back until  close to the end. I think that Adam is a really good person who is just confused, heartbroken, and brought down by the pressures of fame.

No comments:

Post a Comment