Jessie's whole life isn't real. She
lives in an enclosed society that tourists visit where everything is supposed
to be authentically 1840. She doesn't know about the outside world because she
moved to the society, called Clifton, when she was a baby and her parents aren’t
allowed to tell her about the outside world. But suddenly, everything changes.
A fatal case of diphtheria comes over Clifton, and the people who own Clifton
refuse to give modern medicine to those suffering from the illness. This forces
Jessie’s mother to tell her the truth about Clifton and send her out into the
real world find a modern doctor who will help the people of Clifton.
Jessie is a very strong character.
She is caring, loyal, and brave. I really like her character. She seems to be a
truly good person. She is sensitive, but strong. I wish I could be more like
her. I definitely wouldn’t be able to do some of the things she does. I couldn’t
face an incredibly harsh world when I had never been out of my hometown. I really like Jessie’s character. She is a
strong, female lead, and she’s not conceited in any way. She’s a great role
model.
I
also really like the premise of this book. It’s cool how people from the past going into the present. I think the idea of
Clifton was really interesting, because it’s a society where people basically
live in the past. Everything in their life corresponds to 1840. I also like the
idea of someone who doesn’t know anything about modern life suddenly having to
live modernly. I love the parts of the book that showed Jessie’s confusion
about modern technology, snacks, and ways of life. It was humorous, but made a
good point that some of our ways of life are pretty ridiculous and primitive, in a strange way. The book made
me see modern times in the eyes of someone from the 1800s.
No comments:
Post a Comment