Ms. Cunningham: Sorry this was posted after 9 pm! I was extremely busy this weekend, but I will publish my post on time next week.
Less than 100 years ago, some Jews lived in secluded communities called ghettos. Ghettos were places where Jews could go on with their normal lives, but behind closed gates. During the Holocaust, many people such as Alex from the book "The Island on Bird Street" by Uri Orlev, lived in poverty and fear of the Germans taking them away to concentration camps. They were not allowed to leave the gates.
I haven't gotten very far in this book, but I can already tell that a big theme in it is courage. Alex is courageous because he lives on in the ghetto, even though his mom was taken away by the Nazis, and he is scared that they will do the same thing to him. He is only eleven, yet he has been through so much and is so brave.
No comments:
Post a Comment